WINE RACE 2016 .. MATTc380 .. TRENT 353 .. BEN 347 ...... Garden species:- Macros 357, Micros 365, Total 722

Sunday 20 February 2011

Common moth is new tick

This Pale Brindled Beauty has been on my target list for some time.
Last year I struggled to find any winter months moths but since installing a 15watt flourescent fitting under the eaves of my shed, and using a 15w 350BL tube to bathe the shed wall in light, I have added 4 new species to my garden list.
To illustrate this further, at this time last year I recorded just 3 species....Winter Moth, Dark Chestnut and Satellite, all caught in the skinner trap.
So far this year the total is 14 species, with only Common Quaker and Chestnut being found in the traps. The traps will come into their own very soon but the cold weather moths seem to prefer the illuminated walls.
The other advantage is I can put on the wall lights during rainy weather and not have to worry about soaked traps as I have no effective rain guards fitted.

Spring Usher is still on my target list and a Dotted Border would be a welcome addition......seek and ye shall find !
..........................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................
PALE BRINDLED BEAUTY 1926 Year total to date:-
25 moths of 14 species ( 9 macro, 5 micro )

2 comments:

  1. Well done with the PBB and good luck with your 2 other targets, Trent.
    I found a Dotted Border on a window at my youngest daughter`s school last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean...Tonight looks good, no breeze and a tad warmer, fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete