WINE RACE 2016 .. MATTc380 .. TRENT 353 .. BEN 347 ...... Garden species:- Macros 357, Micros 365, Total 722

Sunday 13 February 2011

New macro

I broke my duck at last on the elusive March Moth, elusive in MY garden that is. Got back at midnight after enjoying superb Indian cuisine at the India Lounge retaurant in Sandy and an excellent bottle of Australian Merlot at the "Ratface" domicile.
Temperature was 2.8 deg C, so no great expectations......and there HE was, sitting on the garden shed blacklight lampholder.
(Pale Brindled Beauty is still at large)
The next few days look to be unfavourable though according to the Met Office, with arctic conditions returning and strong winds.
The false Spring was good while it lasted...roll on the real Spring.
..................................................................................................

March Moth 1663 (male)
The upgraded Skinner with 4 x 25watt FUL lamps as viewed from the house.
I daren't go any brighter but a 250watt mercury vapour is very tempting ! Tally to date :-
21 moths of 10 species (5 x micro, 5 x macro)

3 comments:

  1. 100W actinic - I thought my 80W was over the top ;-)

    I was surprised to find the actinic is very good for early and late season noctuids. I modified mine last year with an additional 100W tungsten just to give a bit more visible light - still nowhere near as bright as the 125W MV I run further down the garden.

    I have a 250W MV trap and a 250W metal halide (eye cancer) trap that I use sometimes out and about - would not recommend running in the garden if you are on a flight path .......

    ReplyDelete
  2. 250w MV is fine on a cliff somewhere but I've seen one in use on a golf course and all that happened was the moths settled twice as far from the trap than usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it that the 250 is a no-goer then (^_*)

    ReplyDelete